May 3, 2019
City of Stamford Plastic Bag Ban
Ban goes into effect May 3rd, 2019
The Board of Representatives passed an ordinance eliminating the distribution of disposable plastic bags in Stamford. The goal of this ordinance is to improve the environment within the City by prohibiting the use of disposable carry out plastic bags and implementing a 10 cent charge for recyclable carryout paper bags. The City's hope is that residents will use reusable carryout bags that will help better serve the environment.
- This ordinance will go into effect on May 3rd, 2019.
- If you see a business distributing disposable plastic bags, you may report them to FixIt Stamford.
- If you qualify for government food assistance programs such as SNAP, are exempt from charges related to disposable carry out bags
- Click here to view the ordinance
- View our flyer here (Spanish).
If you are a resident or business owner and would like to learn more about the ban please click here
Friday, May 24, 2019 2:50:00 PM